Sandy Island School, Pawleys Island: Route to (re)settlement Exhibition Venue
Sandy Island, located between the Pee Dee and Waccamaw Rivers, is a secluded community founded by freed slave Phillip Washington who worked on local rice plantations. The population has decreased from around 300 to 50 residents, but the rich Gullah history and culture remains alive within the community.
Sandy Island School was built in the 1930’s by Archer and Anna Hunnington, founders of Brookgreen Gardens. The National Park Service has awarded Coastal Carolina University a grant to restore the building, which will ultimately serve as a museum, exhibiting artifacts found on the island and highlighting the community’s history.
In collaboration with Brookgreen Gardens, Gullah Africa Diaspora: Joyner Institute and National Park Service, Route to (re)settlement will present a community engaged series of installations and performances.